Thursday, April 20, 2006

What the Hell Kind of Place is This?

I was at the gym yesterday. Yes I go to the gym… every other day… for an hour. Not because I’m some kind of meathead or anything. I go because… well… lets just say that I’m trying to avoid the day when I clutch at my chest in agony before falling to the floor dead. I’d like to try to out live my parentage.
Anyway, Like I was saying before ADD boy took over, I was at the gym, walking on my treadmill, trying to keep my heart rate in the mid 140’s, and jamming to Dark Side of the Moon, when I looked up at one of the television screens…
The cardio room has televisions all over the place, and all of the machines have little jacks, so that you can listen to any of the TV’s. I don’t use ‘em, ‘cause they almost always have something lame on, and besides, I go to the gym to avoid the “stupid box.” Sorry, ADD boy again.
… So I look up at one of the screens and they have some Country music station on.
As if the words “Country” and “Music” belong in the same sentence.
Anyway, I look up and see this pretty young lady getting dressed for the prom, or some such. And she’s bald. So I jack in to the television receiver and hear a song about a girl who has cancer. The chemo has taken her hair, but she’s going to the prom anyway. The boy who has come to get her is wearing a baseball cap, and when she gets to the bottom of the stairs, he takes off the cap to reveal that he has shaved his head in order to help support her.
At this point, I realize that I’m crying. Damn country music.
I don’t cry, in general. But considering what has happened to our family in the past week, I guess I was overdue.
How is it that we live in a world where men have walked on the moon. Cars can get 60+ miles to the gallon. We can fly to the other side of the world in a matter of hours. We can send an email to the farthest reaches of the Earth in nanoseconds. But, we can’t cure a 26-year-old mother of two little boys of cancer? What the hell kind of place is this?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...