Monday, May 01, 2006

The Pleasin' Odor's Half the Point

Ya know what I love...
I love to walk into a used bookstore and take a big wiff. There is something about the smell of old books that just make me go all gooey inside. It’s darn near a spiritual experience. They should make incense that smells like that. But, then, that wouldn’t work very well, ‘cause it would probably smell like burning old books, which would just make me want to take my own life. What if Glade made a plug-in that smelled like old books? Yea... now were talking.
Why old books? I don’t know. I think that it’s all the acid free papers and inks that they use these days. If you walk into a Barnes & Noble, today, you won’t get the same smell as walking into a Sam Wellers. It’s the smell of time; the consequence that time takes on books. The pages yellow and go brittle, the ink fades. Books are mortal, just as we are. I recently got a copy of an old book that went out of print in the 1960’s. In fact, it went out of print 5 years before I was born. As soon as I got it, I opened its yellowed pages and smelled. Not just a sniff, but a full lung full of the musty air... The smell of the bookstore. The smell of time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...