Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Scout-Camp Worries


I got back from my home troop’s scout camp at about 11:00 last night. I was so tired while driving that I was really kind of scaring myself. (No, I didn’t have any scouts in the car with me.) So I cranked up the A/C and turned the car into an icebox, then I blasted the radio (Classic Rock) and punched the gas.
I’m a little short on vacation time at work, so, I scheduled some dads to go up and take over for me so that I could come home and do a couple of days in the office. So, my assistant scoutmaster and I took them up to the scout camp Monday morning, and then came back down last night when the dad’s got there. I hate doing that. I’m so worried about them right now I can hardly stand it. I’m not worried about the dads that took my place. I know these guys really well and would trust them with my own kids. It’s just that… accidents happen at camp. Cuts, scrapes, falls... fill in your own catastrophe here... and I’m a two-hour drive from them. Not that they could get a hold of me, there’s only one working set of phones up there and they’re on the other side of the reservation. Cell phones? Nope. No signal. I know that they’ll be fine. There’s a great staff up there and they can handle anything that comes up.
I guess the thing that’s really getting to me is the fact that I had to have someone else do my job for me. Ya know?
I don’t delegate well, so, having to have dads go up there to do my job, really kind of ticks me off.

I’m going back up on Friday afternoon, so that I can give them a final “Scoutmaster’s Minute” at our Friday night campfire. Not sure what it’s gonna be. It’ll probably be something about Eagles. Scouts love stuff about eagles.
I’ve also got to meet with the second Silver Moccasin staff (who will be up there) on Friday. I've been asked to be the scoutmaster over that crew next summer and I've got to pick a senior patrol leader and see what adult staff wants to stay on for next summer. What did I get myself into. Wouldn't be so bad if I were getting paid. Then again... here is a certain amount for freedom afforded to being a volunteer. What are they gonna do... fire me? Please... no really... PLEASE!
I hope my guys are alright…

1 comment:

witness said...

I've always taken a couple of "Zolivispit" pills when I get tired while driving...(see blog. Of course, that is what was was prescribed to deal with the stress of scouting...

http://leakingmindjuice.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...