Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dream Within a Dream

In our old home, I had a little room where I stored some of my books, and all of my scouting crap. Since it was really nothing more than a storage room, I had, on occasion, written on the walls quotes that in some way illustrated the human condition. Or at least, what I thought the human condition was. I had quotes from Shakespeare’s Hamlet and the Merchant of Venice. I had the opening line of Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury and the final lines of Orwell’s 1984.
Now that I have a new home, and this time a real office, I think that I want to do the same thing. (Maybe something printed out with those vinyl letters, instead of my old glorified version of graffiti.) But I thought that I would start with a little poem by Edgar Allan Poe.
I’ve always loved Poe because he had a way of delving into the deepest, darkest parts of the human condition. He showed us parts of ourselves that we never want to admit may lurk deep in the locked parts of our minds.
And so…

A Dream Within a Dream
By E. A. Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

1 comment:

NeverEnough said...

That's beautiful - I love Poe! Now I need to read up on him some more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...