Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Spiritual Cliques?

What is a clique?
Dictionary.com defines it as “a small, exclusive group of people; coterie; set.”
When we moved, we from an area where everyone was nice, inclusive, and treated new people very nicely. It was a settled neighborhood with very few people moving in and out. The ward (to Mormons, a Ward is much like a Parrish or a congregation) was very helpful to those who were new to the area.
Our new Ward… not so much. They’re young, almost everyone is in their twenties. They’re movers, shakers, professionals, always one-step ahead of the Joneses, i.e. probably up to their collective necks in debt. They are the newest version of the yuppie (for those of us who remember the 80's). And therefore Clique-ish.
I hate cliques; I hate them with a passion. But then I’m a geek… ‘nuf said. They seem to be made up of the beautiful people… those superior types that we really love to hate.
(Ever see the movie “Heathers”? Yeh, now that’s the way to break up a clique.)
And hate them I do. And so… since our new Ward seems to be made up of cliques, I hate the Ward.
Here’s my problem… I’ve never been one of those strong spiritual people. I’ve never been one of those bright, shiny, love the scriptures, endless spiritual energy type of people. You know the type, every church has them. It would be very easy for me to just stop going to church. In this new Ward, it would be VERY easy for me to just stop going. But, I have a deep desire to become more spiritual and so (according to the way I was taught) I kinda have to keep going in order to listen to the teachings, take the sacrament (Communion) every chance I can, to participate and hold a position in the Ward.
The proverbial rock and a hard place.
My only hope is that this neighborhood is just a stopping point on the way up for many of these people and that in the next couple of years, they will go away; That they will move on to even greater mountains of debt and be replaced by… well… geeks.

3 comments:

Doug Walters said...

Stopped by your blog, couldn't help but understand how you feel about the cliques...I'm a young person myself, but wy wife, daughter and I just moved back into the ward that I spent 18 years growing up in, and these young couples that moved in from the midwest have already formed a clique and are snobby to the extreme. I'm thinking, this is the ward I grew up in....and you guys are putting up walls? give me a break. i agree, we young folks are absurd.

The Senate Site said...

What is a Browncoat?

witness said...

Hang in there. The veracity of eternal truth isn't determined by a group of people's inability to live it correctly (i.e., those that you described in your post.) Look at it as an opportunity to reach out to those in your ward that may be feeling a similar need to be included and appreciated. If that doesn't work, try moving to Rome, Ga. We could do an all night Star Wars fest, which pretty much dilutes any cares ward related.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...