Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Return of "Mystic"


Long ago, when I was a much younger man, I lived in Burbank California. I lived with three other guys in an apartment that was really just a converted garage. Really! If you opened my closet you could still see the garage doors. So, on warm days, the place would heat up and it smelled like… well… like a garage. Not so pleasant, fortunately, I wasn’t home very often. Really, I only ever came home to sleep.
One day we found out that there was going to be a community carnival type of thing at the park, and so we went and while walking around we found this booth where they were selling incense. Homemade incense. Scents I didn’t know you could make into a stick of incense. They had a “desert rain” stick that smelled just like the desert in Utah after a hard rain. It had the exact sage and grass smell I had missed so very much. So we bought a bunch of different scents and took them back to the pad, and well, it did the trick. Suddenly the old garage didn’t smell so much like a garage. It was kinda... "mossy." So the next day I ran out to the park and bought up enough of that guy’s incense to last the rest of the year I had left to be in California.
I burned that stuff all the time because it was so relaxing to sit and watch the smoke curl into the air. Just mellowed me out.
No… it wasn’t THAT kind of smoke… I’m sure that there was none of THAT ingredient in it. Geez! Where’s your mind?
So any way. One day it was just to rainy to go out so I was stuck in the apartment and decided to burn some of the incense… so there I was, sitting cross legged on the floor holding this stick of smoldering incense and in walks a couple of my room mates. One of ‘em, we called him “Carp,” he drops to his knees and in a mocking prayer type of thing starts calling me “Mystic.” Turns out that I carried that name for the rest of the time I was in southern California.
Eventually, I came home to Utah and started into life again, but I always remembered that incense. Over the years I’ve tried to find good incense, but have always ended up with some kind of, overly perfumed junk that all smells the same, despite what it said on the package. But then I found Anna’s. Anna is some hippie chick from Canada who sells incense through the Internet. I just got my order from her about a week ago, and I gotta tell ya… it’s not quite as good as the stuff I found in Burbank… but it’s darn close. I got "Desert Sage" and "Campfire" and a Bottle burner. I'll tell you what... nothing in the world is more relaxing that sitting in my office, as i am right now, with the lights dimed, just watching the smoke rise in curls toward the ceiling. Brings back the days in that smelly old garage in Burbank.
So… check her out… grab some incense for your place, ‘cause I’ll tell you what… I may go by “Murph” now… but every so often… “Mystic” returns.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...