Thursday, February 22, 2007

Wisdom from the Deep


I just finished reading a book for the third time. Which I shouldn’t have really done since I’m supposed to be reading Ivanhoe for my book club, but… what cha’ gonna do?
The book is Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It’s about a couple of deep wreck divers (John Chatterton and Richie Kohler) that find a World War II U-Boat off the coast of New Jersey.
Anyway, I wrote about it before, but this time a few things that John Chatterton believes really stuck out in my mind. It’s kind of his philosophy about deep wreck diving, but I think that it can apply to just about any endeavor that we shallow water folk take on.

“If an undertaking were easy, somebody else would have already done it.”

“If you follow in another’s footsteps, you miss the problems really worth solving.”

“Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus, and tenacity. Compromise on any of these and you become average.”

“Every so often, life presents a moment of great decision, an intersection at which a man must decide to stop or go. A person lives with these decisions forever.”

“Examine everything, not all is as it seems or as people tell you.”

“It is easiest to live with a decision if it is based on an earnest sense of right and wrong.”

“The guy who gets killed is often the guy that got nervous. The guy who doesn’t care anymore, who has said “I’m already dead. The fact that I live or die is irrelevant and the only thing that matters is the accounting I give of myself,” is the most formidable force in the world.”

“The worsted possible decision is to give up.”

“If you can breath, you’re Ok”

I’ve taken these quotes and taped them to my office wall, because I believe that there is a lot of wisdom to be found in this wisdom from the deep.
Try ‘em out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...