Thursday, October 25, 2007

Happy Halloween!

So…
I’m reading Dracula, by Bram Stoker for the fifth time because the book club I belong to thought that it would be a good read for Halloween. Which it is. It’s a great book that everyone should read it at least once, because it’s brilliant… but… my reader’s block rages on. I just can’t get into it.
I thought that if I read it with a purpose, with a goal in mind, maybe I would be able to overcome my little problem. So I started reading, and taking note of all the references to “thirst,” “vein,” “heart,” and “blood,” and then noting the context in which they occur. Boring you say? Not so much. I really enjoy doing readings like that. Especially with a book I’ve read several times.

So what is it about Vampires that fascinate so many people? I think that it’s because the vampire is an intelligent monster. Usually good looking and sexy, strong and ruthless, but capable of being vulnerable. They are not the mindless killers from the slasher films featuring Jason, Freddy and that ilk. There is something… human…. about them. And maybe that’s what we like about them.



Take, for instance, Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He was one of the most heartless killers in Europe before he was cursed by having his soul given back. I found him to be dark and brooding, and not in a good way. My wife… she just thought he was hot.
I liked Spike, form the same series. Here’s a vampire I could get behind. Spike saw the world as a giant Happy Meal, full of juicy people nuggets, but he fell in love with the slayer, and that just pissed him off. What a study in duality.



Then there’s Louis from Interview with a Vampire. (the book… not that crappy movie). He so wanted to be human again, so wanted to be out from under Lastat’s thumb, and to be free from his curse. Refusing to take humans by drinking the blood of animals to quench his thirst.
I love that!



There are so many others… Blade, The death dealer chick from Underworld, the Twilight books, Amy, Evil, and Jerry from Fright Night, (I have always thought that Amy was Hot when she got her vamp on), and who can forget the Lost Boys. I could go on and on. But that would be boring.



So it’s Halloween, and if you would like, be a vampire. But do me a favor, don’t dress like Bella, paint your face white, slip in some of those cheep glow in the dark fangs, wear a plastic cape, or have blood dripping from the corners of your mouth… that’s just cheesy. Do it right. Be yourself… as you would be if you were just bitten. That’s the fun of being a vamp.



Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...