Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Circle is Complete


The circle is now complete. Once I was but a young player… and now I am the old player.
Last night my 13-year-old daughter sat in with us on our monthly old-school game and she totally loved it.
But sitting and watching her play, I started to think back to when I was her age and a new player to the game. On game days, usually every Saturday, I had to ride my bike to my friend Scott’s house on the other side of the neighborhood. As my collection of books grew, I had found that it was a little cumbersome trying to hold them and pump my Huffy up the hill to his house.
I had an old Hot Wheels car case that was kind of like a briefcase that opened up completely on one side. Once I took out the little blue trays that held the cars, I had an empty case that was just the right size for my AD&D books, dice and characters. So that I wouldn’t look like a complete dork, I took a razor knife and cut off the puffy, plastic covered picture of die-cast sports cars that donned the top of the case and replaced it with a stenciled.


ADVANCED
D & D


We played for a lot of years, right up through high school, and college. We played monthly after we started getting married and then once children started to appear, we stopped all together.
For some reason we started playing again. I’m not sure how this happened but I’m glad it has. Even if it’s just an excuse to get together and play till the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...