Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Tin Whistle


Before I left for camp, Terri asked me what I wanted for Father’s day, and I told her that I wanted a Clarke Celtic Tin Whistle in the Key of D.
Before I go any farther, I had better explain. I’ve been going through a serious Celtic phase as of late. I don’t know why, maybe it’s a pre 40’s crisis, I don’t know. I’ve always loved Celtic music, it speaks to my soul. Then I started doing some genealogy, and found a distant cousin whose family still live in Great Britain. Then I went to see The Celtic Women and The High Kings, which culminated in a Kilt for the Utah Renaissance Festival, and now I’m lost…
So anyway, I’ve tried to learn instruments before. I played the clarinet in elementary school and junior high. But I never practiced because I didn’t really enjoy it. I tried to teach myself the guitar… with expected results. So I thought that if I tried the tin whistle, well, I have woodwind experience and, if I give up on it, then I’m only out 8 bucks and a Father’s Day present… Right?

I love this little whistle! My wife is recognizing tunes through all of my squeaks and really high squeaks. Two days and I can play “Amazing Grace” pretty well, and am working on an Irish drinking song called “The Wild Rover.”

Watch out world… a whistler has been born, well… almost.

By the way, camp was cold, snowy, and full of mud.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...