Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm Going to Die!


At Silver Moccasin last summer, I found myself sitting alone with one of my assistant scoutmasters, during one of our few quiet times on the course. He’s a pretty fit guy, who runs in marathons, and who is in his 50’s. I’m 39 and feel like I’m in my 60’s.
So anyway, he was telling me that I needed to start running and then enter a 10k. He guaranteed me that it would change my life. Well I didn’t do anything about it up until about a month ago.
The company I work for has lunch brought in every Friday. And it’s a good time to sit and chew the fat, as it were. Well one of the guys said that he had always thought that putting a team together for the Wasatch Back Relay would be fun. Well my boss agreed and so we have put a team together. For those who don’t know, it’s a running race, from Logan to Park City, some 180 (about) miles. 12 runners per team, run 3 legs of the relay. I’ll be running a 5k and two 10k’s in 24 hours.
I’ve started training, and do pretty well on the treadmill, but once I get on the road, it’s a disaster.
But I’ve only been training for a month, so I’m sure I’ll improve, and I have until June. Suddenly next summer doesn’t seem so far away.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go Mike! Good for you. I know what you're saying though about the treadmill verses the road. I use my treadmill all the time, but when I run (and what I really mean is walking/running---mostly walking) outside (which isn't very often), it is harder....why is that? At any rate, good luck! You'll do great!

Witness said...

I think that if I tried to run, not only would all of the weight actuated doors open simultaneously in the entire south east, but, all of the muck that I have painstakingly applied to the inner wall of my arterial network would be jiggled off into the bloodstream and cause a terrible mess....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...