Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stage Makeup


I’m in so much trouble…
A few years ago… more than I care to admit, I helped a friend of mine out with a couple of rooms he had at the old “Haunted Old Mill.” It was so much fun, and because of that experience, I found my wife… but that’s a totally different subject.
Anyway, while working at this haunted house, I taught myself quite a bit about stage and FX makeup. Since then, I’ve tried to keep myself up on technique and so forth, but lately (the last 10 years) I’ve been only using my “vast knowledge” to make my kids into dead pirates and fairy princesses on Halloween and to do realistic first aid drills for the Boy Scouts.
So… getting back to the story, my Stake is putting on a musical, “A Time to Choose,” next March and they were asking for technical people to help out with the production. I figured that I could be of some help so I called up the director and offered to do the stage makeup. Then, I pulled out my old makeup kit and found that most of my brushes were either crusty old, or falling apart, and that most of my cream makeup was more like chalk makeup.
So, I did some looking and bought a theatrical cream kit from Ben Nye, and then grabbed some books from the library as a refresher…
I am in so much trouble!
When I was in my 20’s everything came so easy, now… not so much. Shading isn’t working like it should. Color selection doesn’t seem natural anymore. I can’t control the brushes like I used to…
I really think that I’m just being to hard on myself, and I do have until March to try to get my skills back… plus… I have no idea what this play is about. I don’t know the characters and I don’t know what kind of makeup I’ll be needed to do… so I’m trying to learn it all.

See where volunteering gets you…

3 comments:

Angela said...

Ya see...this is why we don't answer our door and act all gruff and irritable at church. When people like you they let you do dumb stuff like volunteer. When they are a little afraid of you, they tend to not. It is a good system that I am still working on mastering.
That being said, I think you are being too hard on yourself. I am sure you will do magnificently. If worst comes to worst, make them all zombies. Zombies always work... no matter what the show is about. The re-animated dead can be spiritual too! Well...maybe not

Grajeda8 said...

First let me tell you "thanks". No blog that I follow has posted in awhile and I was going through withdrawls.
You crack me up, I am sure that you will do fine. By the time that you have it mastered again your kids will probably not want to wear makeup for a few years. That is if you are using them to practice on. You are aren't you? That in its self may be a good thing! :)

Melissa said...

Mike, you'll do great! That's cool that you have learned so much in the past and think about how much more you're going to learn on this project. Take a deep breath and then take the plunge. You'll be fine. (PS, if it really IS a disaster, then maybe they won't let you volunteer again....jk).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...