Monday, September 21, 2009

Night Running


I love night running. I don’t know if it’s the smartest thing I do, but it’s gotten into my blood, and I don’t know if I can let it go.
Several months back, I was supposed to run in the Wasatch Back Relay but had to drop out because of a leg injury. Well, when several members of the team decided that they wanted to run the Ragnar Las Vegas, next month (in 2 weeks) I felt that I could train and get healthy enough to run it with them, and so I dumped the treadmill, got out on the street and started running.
There is something about me that you have to know… I’m lazy, way too lazy to drag my sorry carcass out of bed in the morning to go running, and since I’m an asthmatic, I can’t just get up and go like normal people, I’d have to get up, take my meds, wait 30 minutes for them to fully take effect, and then go… that’s just not happening at 6:00 in the morning. Plus, I’m not one of those who can run, get the endorphin rush and then stay pumped for the rest of the day. I run, and then feel tuckered out for the rest of the day. It’s just no fun if I’m whipped while at work, I need to be able to sleep it off… so running at night is great.
Tonight, I didn’t get out the door until 9:00pm. I helped my wife put the kids to bed, kissed her goodnight (she goes to bed early because she gets up really early for work) and then ran out the door with my mp3 player and “Amphipod” reflective vest. When I run at night, I at least wear a white shirt under my Amphipod and my legs are as white as Edward Cullen… so I’m sure that that helps me to be seen. I don’t have a head lamp or butt light yet, but I’m sure I’ll pick one up eventually, because I do worry about getting hit by a car.
But running at night is so peaceful. I turn my mp3 player way down, so that it’s just a whisper in my ears; partly for safety (so that I can hear cars) and partly to preserve the atmosphere. I can hear the rhythm of my shoes on the pavement and the music of my breathing over the thump of the ear buds. On hills, the black of the pavement melts into the black of the starry sky. Not many people in my neighborhood sleep with their porch lights on so the blanket of stars are so bright, but my eyes concentrate on the road watching for potholes and other obstructions that may turn an ankle or over extend a knee.
I know that the neighbors think that I’m odd or even touched in the head for this nightly activity, but I don’t care… I really don’t, because I know that I do this not only for my strengthening heart and body, but for my strengthening soul.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good for you! Running is theraputic....so I hear.... :)

Granny Smith said...

This is beautiful!!! I couldn't have put it better myself. I am a fellow asthmatic and have the same problem with morning runs. Running tires me out too, so it's so peaceful to go to bed relaxed and tired at night. Happy running!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...