Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ragnar Wasatch Back training has begun… Slowly, oh, so slowly.
This will be my 3rd Ragnar relay and my second Wasatch Back, so I’m aware of the challenges, but it just feels like I’m progressing slower than I have in the past.
There was a time when running was just second nature, I’d hit the road every other night, after we put the kids to bed, and I’d lay down 5 miles with a 10.5 minute mile pace no problem. Then last winter, I took a spill on the ice, spraining my ankle. The 6 week rest I took, turned into 8 months. I got out of the routine of running and never really got back to it. So now, I’m training again. I’m stuck at an 11.25 minute mile and I just can’t make my 43 year old body go any faster. I’m afraid to push much harder because I can feel the beginnings of shin splints coming on. I’ve been down the shin splints road, and don’t ever want to be there again, so my training has backed off a bit, and the ice packs are a constant presence in the freezer.
I’m only in the first few weeks of a 20 week training schedule, so I have a long way to go, and I nave no doubt that I’ll be ready for the race come June.
So far it’s been a mild winter and the roads have been dry, and running hasn’t been a big problem for me, but it snowed last night, the first really good snow storm of the year, which means wet roads and ice. Yikes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...