Saturday, April 28, 2012

I just have to say...



I just have to say this publicly. I love my wife! Yep, it’s true. She’s the greatest person I have ever known, and she is my best friend.

A few years ago, I started running, and have been doing it, off and on, for the last 4 years. I can’t say that I love running, but I can say that I miss it when, for whatever reason, I’m not running. She has been my support, and my inspiration throughout. She has come to several of the races I’ve run to cheer me on and give me a big smooch at the finish line. She even followed us through the first day of the Las Vegas Ragnar.

Now, my wife is not a size 5, never has been, and most likely never will be. She struggles with her weight, and 20 years of marriage and 4 children have not helped the situation. Recently, she started walking the neighborhood. She does it fairly regularly, and I couldn’t be more proud of her for that. But yesterday, she astounded me.

I had plans to go up to Clearfield, (about 45 minutes north of home) to run a little 5k that a friend of mine organized as a memorial to her Mom, who passed away from ALS last year. So, while I was preparing for that, my wife asked if she could go up and do it as well. “You want to run a 5k?” I asked with a smile. “Well,” she replied, “I’ll most likely walk it, do you think that would be ok?” I told her that yes, everyone was invited to join in, and that since it was probably going to be a very small turn out, that this would be a great one to start off with.

This morning, we got up at 6:30, and was at the registration desk by 8:30. Despite her nerves, and doubts, and what not, she participated, and walked the whole 3 miles, but finished!

I tell you, I could not be prouder of her, and feel so blessed to have her in my life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...