Monday, May 28, 2012

The Temple Run


Those of you who have read my Blog for a while know that I’m a member of the LDS church, a Mormon… for lack of a better term.

I’m also a bit of a runner, and I’ve been training for the Ragnar Wasatch Back. This year, I don’t know what it is, I’m nervous. I ran Ragnar Las Vegas in 2009, and was terribly under trained. Then, in 2010, I ran the Wasatch Back and was trained enough for the legs that I was running (I was runner number 7, one of the easier positions). This year, I’m running position 6, which is quite a bit more challenging, and I’ve been training my guts out because I’m running with a group of people I don’t really know well, and I’m terrified that I’m just going to embarrass myself out there.

So the last few weeks I’ve been packing on the miles… relative to how I usually run… and driving my poor wife crazy… thus, I have not been running happy, which is one of the reasons I like to run in the first place.

So, today, I wanted to do a long run, and run to a place that makes me happy. The Oquirrh Mountain Temple makes me happy. It’s my refuge, my life refueling stop. No matter what’s going on in my life, I can go to the temple to de-stress and to recharge my mind and spirit. So, I decided that I was going to run to it, not to attend or anything like that, just to be on the grounds.

Since it is something like 7 miles from my home, and I’m nowhere near ready for a 16 mile run, I had arranged with my wife, that when I got to the Temple, I would call her. Then she would begin driving toward me as I was running back. I figured that way I could clear about 9 miles total.

I started out with a 10 minute walk to warm up. I figured that I’d walk up to the top of our street and then down a very steep hill before starting the timer and really getting to it. At the top of the hill I looked to the south and could see the temple way off in the distance. A small granite box in the morning haze.

When I got to the bottom of the hill, I totally lost sight of it because of the suburban sprawl between it and me. At 45 minutes a was just crossing the half way mark and feeling pretty good if not a bit winded, so I stopped, sucked down a GU Gel and a big swig of water before hitting it hard again.

The last 3 miles are on a constant up hill slope, and I found that I was getting winded much faster than normal, I was also aware that I was sucking water a lot more often as well and I was almost out. With about a mile and a half to go, I stopped into a 7-11 and filled my water bottle from the tap on the side of their soda machine, endured an icy stare from the worker behind the counter and headed on up the hill.

At this point, I could just make out the Angel Moroni on the steeple over the trees. This gave me a little more oomph to get to the top of the hill on which the temple rests, or maybe it was the fresh, cold water… who knows.

When I reached the top, I stopped my watch for just a second, called my wife and took a look around. From the Temple’s hill you can see almost all of the Salt Lake Valley, as well as the Jordan River & Draper Temples.

I had a goal of crossing through the intersection at Skye Drive, which would give me a total of 9 miles for the run, before my wife caught up with me in the van. So, I started my watch again, and started down the hill. I’m happy to say that I had just crossed Skye Drive when I spied my lovely wife in her mini van, for a total distance of 9.05 miles and a time of 1:45:28 which gave me a pace of just about 11.5. I was ok with that, and it was a happy run.

1 comment:

Cory Reese said...

Great job on the run! That's an awesome way to train, relax, and have fun all at the same time. Well done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...