Thursday, July 05, 2012

God Save the Queen!


Yesterday was a rough one for me.  In the past, like most Americans, I love the 4th, I love the feeling of patriotism, of celebrating the freedoms we have, and I fly the flag proudly… but not yesterday.

I’ve been rolling an idea around in my head for about a month, and while it still has yet to take a final form… it’s essentially this.  The noble experiment that is the United States of America has failed and we should just turn ourselves back over to Great Britain, with sincere apologies for all that ruckus we caused back in 1776.

Look… Our “Leaders” don’t care about us or the country.  What they do care about is keeping power, and they will do or say whatever they need to in order to do that.

We aren’t Americans any more.  We have no common goal.  We’re so busy yelling at each other, we can’t hear (or don’t even want to hear) what the other guy is saying.  We’re not Americans.  We’re Democrats or Republicans or Tea Partyers or Moderates, or some other title that has become all powerfully important.

A couple of weeks ago I was called an Eco-Terrorist by one of my oldest friends because I support Sea Shepherd.  Are you kidding me?  We’ve been friends since before puberty, but now because I support what he considers to be a “Leftist” group, I’m now supporting Eco-Terrorism!?!  The rhetoric of division in this country is so strong and pervasive that it can even wheedle itself into a 30 year old friendship.

I’m not blaming the right or the left, the moderates or the media; I’m blaming all of us.  You and Me.  And so… from now on you can sing “My Country ‘tis of Thee,” and I’ll sing “God Save the Queen.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...