Monday, July 02, 2012

TNT





Twenty years ago, I gave bone marrow to a little boy with leukemia. It was a decision that changed my life. Then a few years ago, my wife’s cousin died of that very same cancer, despite the prayers, despite the fact that we found her a marrow donor, and added over 30 people to the marrow donation lists. Ever since then, I’ve thought long and hard about what I could do to help find a cure, and help other people threatened by this terrible cancer. A few months ago, while running along the Jordan Parkway, I passed several people in these purple shirts that said “Team in Training.”

After a little bit of research, I now know that Team in Training is a way for people to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, while getting trained to achieve specific goals, such as to run a marathon. I’ve thought about joining Team in Training, but have concerns about specific fund raising goals. Has anyone out there joined Team in Training? What was your experience like?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I've done 6 events with TNT now and I've never had too much trouble with the fundraising. I've raised over $15,000 total but it was usually only $1200 to 3,000 at a time. You just mail or email a letter to anyone who knows your FIRST name (think doctors, dentist, neighbors, accountant, ANYONE) to solicit donations. Never be afraid to ask. The worst that will happen is that they will say no. :) TNT will also help set up group fundraisers for the team. I've helped with a dodgeball tournament, wine tasting, roadblock, garage sales, etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...