Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Two Things Tuesday


Stupid Van!
Yesterday afternoon, when I got to the theater for the closing night of Cinderella, a strange noise was coming from under my van.  Long story – short, we had a wonderful closing night, and I limped my van home, and now I’m not sure if it’s the transmission or something else in the drive train… whatever it is, it sounds expensive, and with BB starting university in a couple of weeks, I just don’t have the bucks to have it fixed, so… I’m on the bus.  Or, to be more exact, a bus and a train.

I don’t mind public transit too terribly much, since, I spend about $150 a month in gas, and UTA (Utah Transit Authority) is only $78 for a monthly pass… so financially it makes good sense, and it gives me a good hour to read, instead of listening to the inane chuckle heads on morning radio.  So it is a kind of a win-win in that regard, but on the other hand, there is a total lack of freedom in not having your own car… ya know?



BB & University
When I went to College, I remember a total sense of urgency about everything.  Granted, I went to a small community college right out of high school because my parents just could not afford to pay for anything (I’m the oldest of 6 children), so I worked my butt off for every form of financial aid I could get my hands on, and still worked very early mornings at the school’s grounds department, and then nights at a local hardware store in order to pay tuition, buy books and… you know… EAT, I mean something other than Ramen Noodles, on occasion.  It was hard work with NO social life, but when I finished at the community college and transferred to University, I had no debt.  University was a completely different financial situation (i.e. I’ll be paying for that degree until the day I die).  Now, I’m in a little different situation than my folks were, and I can afford to help BB get started at her chosen University.  She was able to get a small scholarship, and find affordable housing with 5 other girls as roommates.  But getting her to do anything has been a struggle with her.




Me:  “BB, have you filled out your financial aid packet?”
BB:  “Um... No…”
Me:  “Hey, B, do you have a place to live?”
BB: “Ummm… not yet.”
Me:  “BB, have you scheduled your classes?  You’ll lose your scholarship if it’s not done by midnight tonight.”
BB:  “Oh, I’ll get right on that.”
Me:  “Um, B?  Have you found a job yet?”
BB:  “Job!?!”
So, I don’t know what to do.  She's a great kid, and so smart if a little bit unfocused.  I trust that when she gets to school, that something will click in her freshman brain, and she’ll be able to stay on top of her homework, assignments, and work… and ultimately come out of the experience a stronger, more organized person.

1 comment:

Soozcat said...

Ah yes. No one will be there to force her to do anything--and for perhaps the first time in her life she gets to experience the full-impact, unbuffered consequences of her choices. That tends to concentrate the mind wonderfully, especially if she fails a few classes.

Do not ask me how I know this. Please, don't.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...