Saturday, July 21, 2012

Well... It was a good night...



I’m sad…

Thursday night/Friday morning was so much freaking fun for my girls and I. We went to a “Dark Knight” Marathon… 9 hours of Geeky fun, and I didn’t even have to lace up my running shoes. It ended at about 3am, and since I had to work, pretty much up until the minute it started, we had met at the theater, and so had separate cars.

While they piled into my wife’s Town and Country, to talk, laugh, and sing along with (yucky) country music… I walked to my van, which is almost perpetually tuned to KUER, our local NPR affiliate. While driving home I listened to reports come in about a shooting at a theater in Aurora, Colorado, where some sick scumbag walked into a movie theater and gunned down a bunch of people who were just trying to have some fun… like the fun that we had just had. I didn’t want to spoil my daughter's excitement, so I didn’t say anything, and instead jumped into bed for the measly 2 hours of sleep I could get before heading off to work.

All day, in order to stay awake, I listened to KUER on my computer, and was disturbed to hear people blame everything and everyone besides the twisted freak that perpetrated the shooting. I heard people say that we need stronger gun laws, or that the video game industry is to blame, or the movie industry… I even heard one guy imply (he didn’t come out and say it, but he implied) that the movie goers, themselves are to blame.

This makes me sad. We know who’s to blame. The screwed up mind of the freak is to blame. Why do we do that? Why do we cast about and blame everyone and everything besides the perpetrator?

Are we looking for a cause? For a reason?

To Quote an old movie from the 80’s “Screws fall out all the time, the world’s an imperfect place.” (The Breakfast Club)

We don’t know why screws fall out of the minds of some people, except that the world is an imperfect place, full of imperfect people, and we (who have all of our screws) just need to be careful.

My heart and prayers are with the families of the victims.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...