Thursday, August 30, 2012

Looking Forward to Next Year


I’m just going to take this opportunity to apologize to my children, and my wife for what I’m about to do to them this weekend.
Ever since I began running I’ve been trying to eat better.  It’s been a private goal that I’ve had with myself, and I have yet to impose it upon my offspring… Ok, there was that one night where I made them eat Black Bean Veggie Burgers, but they didn’t die from that… Geez!

So, earlier this summer, I read an article on urban farming, and I was interested.  My family always had a vegetable garden in the back yard when I was growing up, and I kind of miss having the fresh vegetables at my fingertips.
When we bought our house, about 5 years ago, it had a beautiful yard.  Flowers would bloom at different times throughout the summer… in a word… immaculate.  Then we bought the house, and since we usually don’t spend our weekends at home, it only took about one summer for us to fail utterly as gardeners.  So, what do you do when you have failed as a gardener?  You dig it all up and plant grass!

We also have a large play ground in our back yard.  But, the swing set has rusted away, and weeds have taken up lodging in the gravel… so… here’s where I have to apologize to my kids.  This weekend, we’re cleaning out the play ground so that we can plant veggies next spring… Yea!
Can’t you just hear their groans!  I love it!  Here’s the best part!  BB’s coming home from college for the weekend, and while she doesn’t know it yet… she’s gonna help!  *insert evil laugh*

But here’s the thing.  I’m not doing this to save money, or to help our food budget… that’s just a bonus.  I remember as a kid, my Mom saying “Go out back and pick 5 ears of corn.”  I would, and we would then shuck them, toss them in a pot of boiling water and have… bliss covered in butter.  I haven’t had a fresh cob of corn like that for… I don’t know how long.  Eaten 10 minutes after it was picked.  There’s nothing like it.
Call me crazy, but we still have a little bit of garden in our front yard.  I say garden, but really all that grows there are weeds. But, I’m thinking that on Saturday, one of us will clean out those flower beds, so that next spring I can plant Heirloom Tomatoes, or peppers, or maybe even melons.  Because, ya know, while flowers look great… you can’t eat a flower.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

We've had a garden for several years (not big), but this year Todd built planter boxes, so we could do "square gardening." It's a lot easier to take care of and the weeds are almost nonexistent...just thought I'd pass that along...

Redhead Running said...

I grew up on a farm so we did the same, was told to pick some vege's, we did, and 15 minutes later they were on the dinner table. But I'll tell you one thing, if I ever snap beans for freezing, it'll be too soon. SOooooooooooo many beans to freeze...

Maureen said...

What a great idea! I seriously started salivating over the thought of fresh corn on the cob. Yum! I don't have a green thumb - at all, but I am hoping I can grow a few tomatoes or squash next year. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...