Saturday, August 18, 2012

Porter's Half Recap

I ran my first Half Marathon today… and as such, I probably shouldn’t be writing this race recap, (since I'm dead on my feet) but… Here goes.
I decided to run the Porter’s Half Marathon when a guy I work with (and fellow runner) stopped by Wasatch Running Center and picked up an announcement of the race. The Porter’s Half marathon is named for Orrin Porter Rockwell (I guess that he was just known as “Porter” back in the day) who was a gun fighter, pioneer, and body guard to Mormon Prophet Brigham Young. Any Way….
I figured that since my last name is Porter, and I wanted to run a Half Marathon this year… well… this would have to be the one. I mean, how may races do you run where the shirt and finisher’s medal have your name on it? Right?
After picking up my packet yesterday afternoon, I was hit with a huge case of nerves, so my wife and I decided to ditch the kids at home with Dominoes Pizza, and take in an early movie. (We went to The Bourne Legacy… not a good choice for taking your mind off of running… I’m just saying)
In order to get to the finish line in time to catch the shuttle to the starting line I had to be up at 4:30am, so I laid out everything I would need on the kitchen counter, and went to bed… obviously not to sleep. I’m a chronic insomniac, and so… I might have slept for about an hour or two before the alarm clock went off, but I run Ragnars... so... Sleep? Who needs sleep?  I got dressed, grabbed the stuff off of the kitchen counter on my way to the van, and sped all the way to Draper... only to realize (much later) that I forgot my water bottle.
The shuttles (Canyon District School Busses) left the Draper City Park at 6:15am and I made it there with about 5 minutes to spare. Weird… school busses were bigger when I was in grade school… I just didn’t fit.
After getting lost a couple of times, the “shuttle” arrived at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, a beautiful glacier cut granite canyon on the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. The weather was cool, if a bit smokey since the Western half of the US seems to be on fire… still.
They lined us up (there were just under 400 runners), gave us some final instructions by bull horn, which I heard non of, because of the people behind me talking about some marathon they ran in… somewhere. And then we were off.
I had a goal of running this thing in 2 hours, 30 minutes, and according to my Garmin, I did it in 2:16:49, which I think was pretty darn good. The weird thing is that according to the Garmin, the race was about 0.25 miles short of 13.1 miles. That could be because we were in a canyon for the first little bit, and canyons do tend to play Merry Hob with GPS reception. We’ll see what happens when I download the information, and can correct some of the reception errors on the Garmin web site.
My pace per mile breakdown went like this:
Mile 1: 9:17
Mile 2: 9:27
Mile 3: 9:06
(by the way… this is the fastest 5k I’ve ever run!)
Mile 4: 9:52
Mile 5: 10:20
Mile 6: 10:31
Mile 7: 9:58
Mile 8: 10:56
Mile 9: 11:18
Mile 10: 11:58
Mile 11: 11:27
Mile 12: 13:02
Mile 13: 12:07
So, from that you can see where the good down hill sections were, and that I was trashed by the end.
But all in all, It was well organized, well staffed, and really a fun race. I’ll probably run it again next year.

4 comments:

Redhead Running said...

You did it!!! Congrats buddy! Way to stomp your time goals too!

Murph said...

Thanks Red!

Melissa said...

Hey Mike! Yes, I'm behind on blogging, but I'm pretending that it just happened...not sure why, exactly. We just dropped Eric off at Snow on Sat. He has a year before he turns 19...it's weird at home without him.

susette said...

I ran this race too but totally because I have a son named Porter who passed away at age 18. I wore a picture of him on my back. Maybe you might have seen it when I was out there running. I just checked my time and came in at 2:14:39. We certainly were not far apart during the race. I love that I have a shirt with his name on it too :) That was a great race with some great memories!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...