Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ouch! Make it stop!


What is the freaking deal!?!  So last night, I’m sleeping the sleep of the dead, or the just really tired, when out of a dead sleep, I wake up with the muscle spasm of all muscle spasms.  My right calf muscle is in a tight painful clench and my right foot is pointing out like a fricken’ ballet dancer.  I leap out of bed, scaring my wife almost to death, and I hit the floor while trying to knead the muscle into some form of submission.
I don’t know if it’s because I was still half asleep or what, but when I grabbed my calf, it felt like it was twisted into, I don’t know, (I’m not going to say “pretzel”) but it was seriously deformed.

So this morning, my calf feels like it’s been through a Ragnar while some big beefy guy puched it a couple of times.
Has this happened to anyone else?  It seems to happen more and more the older I get.

What can I do to make it stop?

4 comments:

Redhead Running said...

That happened to me regularly in the final weeks before my marathons, I never did find a cure but I def upped the electrolyte intake. I hope that doesn't happen to you again! Ouch!

Soozcat said...

Sounds like a charley horse. Try drinking tonic water for a while. I understand the quinine in tonic water helps relieve muscle cramps. Some people also claim upping your potassium intake will get rid of them. Best of luck; those things are miserable.

susette said...

I used to get charlie horses soooo bad when I was pregnant that would literally throw me out of bed. The thing that helped me the most was I would immediately stand on the leg that was cramping and stretch the sucker out of it. It worked every time.

Melissa said...

Oh man, I hate those! Sorry...And tell Scott congrats on his son's mission. And Mike, speak for yourself when you say "old." :) I'm in denial, as you can tell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...