Sunday, October 14, 2012

10 Running Tidbits

Meredith over at This Runner’s World had this up on her Blog (I even think that she stoll it from someone else)… But after reading what she wrote, I thought that I might give the questions a try. So... Here goes…

1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?

I’ve tried a couple of these things. Stinger Waffles are awesome, but I don’t think that they work as well for me as GU or Shot Bloks. I do like Shot Bloks pre race because they are a little hard for me to get down on the run, for that I like GU.

2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?

I do like little 5k’s from time to time, but since my training runs are usually longer than 3.1 miles they really are no longer a challenge and I hate paying for them. I just ran my first ½ marathon this summer and I’m hooked. My Goal for next summer is to fun 3 of them. My big vice… the race I will sacrifice and train for to no end... Ragnar Relays. Oh, how I love me some Ragnar!

3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other?

I’m a guy and so Skirts & Capris… well that’s just not going to happen. I like longer shorts, and wind pants in the winter. I’m thinking that I’ll wear a Kilt for the Wasatch Back Relay next summer though.

4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other?

I used to be a water guy. Gatorade, Powerade, and all those other sports drinks are so sugary, I just can’t use them on the run. They make my mouth so gummy that I just can’t stand it. Lately I have discovered NUUN, and I fell in love. The fact that it has a light taste and provides electrolytes, well I’m sold!

5. Running Temperatures: HEAT or COLD?

I hate heat! I don’t know what it is, but when it’s hot I just can’t run. The temp right now (I love fall in Utah) is right around 50 to 60 which is perfect. When it gets bitter cold in the depth of winter… forget about it. I’ll head over to the Olympic Oval and do endless circles.

6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brookes, Asics or Other?

Brooks! I started out in a pair of Adidas, and hated every one of the 400 miles I put on them. I could hardy wait for them to wear out so that I could justify to my wife that I needed a new pair of running shoes. I then took a couple of hours at our local running store, and probably drove the sales guy crazy trying different shoes over and over again until I found my perfect shoe… the Brooks Adrenaline.

7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?

Toaster waffles with butter and maple syrup. I know, I was surprised too. On the morning of my first half marathon, I got up a little late and had to shove some carbs down my throat, so I opened up the freezer, found my kid’s box of Eggos, and thought “Why not?” They worked great!

8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or Other?

I try to run every other day (M, W, F) and then a long run on Saturday. Let me reiterate, I TRY to do that. More often than not I squeeze in a late run on Tuesday after my Boy Scouts meeting because Monday didn’t work out for me, then I’m playing catch up the rest of the week and usually have to shorten my Saturday run… Life just gets in the way sometimes.

9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?

I’m no purest… Music all the way, I mean, why would I want to listen to my own thoughts? When I run at night, I usually turn the music way down, and then run with only one ear bud… for safety reasons only. There was a time during my first Vegas Ragnar, where at 2am, I found myself alone in the middle of the desert. It was so peaceful that I took out my ear buds and ran to the sound of the desert… I’ll never forget that night. It was awesome.

10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or Other?

Wow, good question… Back in 2008 I had a physical, and after taking my family’s health history (Diabetes, heart disease, stroke, on and on) my doctor looked at me and said “They didn’t give you a lot to work with.” I’ll never forget that. So I took up running… and failed.  You could say that I gave up. Then My boss decided that it would be a great team building experience if we formed a Ragnar Wasatch Back Team. Well that was the motivation I needed to keep going, to work hard, and to build miles. I worked myself so hard that I got a serious case of Shin Splints. So I missed the 2009 Wasatch Back due to injury, but I did take one of the volunteer slots, which was great motivation to get healthy. I did, and went on to run Ragnar Las Vegas later that same year. So, I missed out on the Saints and Sinners Medal, and have been Jonesin’ for it ever since. I think that I’ll get it this year. So reason for running… Mostly so that I won't die... Secondly, For the Fun!

1 comment:

Redhead Running said...

My comment has nothing to do with your post but as you just left me a comment and do not have an email attached to your account (you really should consider doing this, there's been plenty of times I'd have loved to email you back a response) I figured this was the only way to respond: Spike and I are both Irish and we had the whole traditional Irish Blessing you quoted, read as the final blessing in our ceremony. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...