Tuesday, October 30, 2012

20 Years


Twenty years ago today, I married my best friend.  And ever since that cold, rainy, windy day in October, we’ve laughed together, cried together, joys and sorrows.  We’ve made four of the greatest children in the world.  How could they be otherwise… they are mostly their mother.
Although we’ve struggled though these twenty years, trying to keep the realities of this world at bay, I am so blessed to have had her by my side, fighting along with me.

I know that I was not what she expected when she thought of the perfect husband.  When she could have had any tall, dark, and handsome man in the world, she took me… tall, red, and pasty.
I am so blessed that she chose me.

I look back on our last 20 years.  From a tiny one-room basement apartment (with extraordinarily loud neighbors above us) to a tiny home in Taylorsville, to our final home in Oquirrh.  From, our first Christmas together with our little tree, and empty apartment to later Christmases with our growing family and the joyful screams of our little children… from times of financial struggle to those times when we weren’t struggling quite so much.  Through the years, we’ve always found ways to have fun.  Silly String on Christmas morning, super soakers down the hall, flour fights in the kitchen, geocaching in the van, or kilts and bad Scottish accents in the summer.  Those times, and many others, will always be worth their weight in gold in my mind.  Like the song says… “If Good times were dollars, I’d be… a millionaire.”
And so, I look forward to the next 20 years.  I look forward to growing old with my own true love, to becoming grandparents, to the time when our house will once again be filled with the laughter of little voices, and to the joy that that will bring to us.

As I told her on the day I first placed the simple ring on her finger, we will never be rich in money; to the world, we will always be poor, but we will always be wealthy in love and the good things that God has blessed us with and I am so looking forward to these next 20 years, and the 20 beyond that, for they will be the richest that two people will ever have or hope to have.
I love her more than yesterday, but not as much as I will tomorrow.

Happy Anniversary, My Love.

 

6 comments:

Soozcat said...

Congratulations to the both of you! A happy 20 more.

Chad Hill said...

Today's my birthday; I didn't know we shared this special day in common. I was only 2 years old 20 years ago.

Chad Hill

Melissa said...

Sweet sentiment! Thanks for sharing that. Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

Suz and Allan said...

What a sweet post, hope you two had a wonderful anniversary!

susette said...

Yay for Anniversaries!! I've got you beat by just a little bit:) Congratulations. Yes looking forward to grandchildren is something so exciting. Actually being a grandparent is even more exciting. It's the BEST!

Redhead Running said...

This is so sweet and you two look so young and innocent! Happy (belated) Anniversary to you both and cheers to many, many more!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...