Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Two-Things-Tues… er… Wednesday?


Ok, so I didn’t get Two-Things-Tuesday done yesterday.  I tried, but every time I sat down at my word processor yesterday, I had nothing.  I’m not sure I have anything today, but… here goes.

Reading
I have a goal of reading 100 books this year; I even put it on Goodreads as a challenge for myself.  Now, I usually read 2 books at a time, one at home and one at work.  And so far I’ve done pretty well, been on track, and at one time I was even ahead by a book or two.  But this month I fell behind, and I’ll tell you why.  So far this year, I’ve been reading quite a few Terry Pratchett’s Disk World books.  Which are great by the way, and I can read them in a couple of days, and that has kept me on track, but I’ve been feeling that I need to read something with substance.  And so, when I finished my last book, and having no money to buy a new one, I went to my book shelves… I have wonderful bookshelves, overflowing with books.  I call the room my library and it’s my favorite room… I should take some pictures and put them up on the blog… but I digress.  So not having money to buy a new book, I went to the bookshelves and pulled out Herman Melville, yep, that ponderous volume… Moby Dick.  It’s been a lot of years since I’ve read it, so I thought that it was time to hit it again.  Then, while walking through the stacks at the county library, I came upon Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  Well it’s an election year, and every 4 years I tend to get a little Marxist in my thinking and need to be pulled a little right so that I can maintain my moderate political stance, so I thought that a good dose of Rand would be just what the doctor ordered to bring my thinking back to center.

But the consequence of reading two behemoth books is that I’ve fallen behind of my 100 book goal for the year.  Oh well, 2013…

Heebie-jeebies
I don’t know if it’s the fall weather or all of the Halloween decorations, or just my over imagination but I have had a serious case of the heebie-jeebies as of late.  Monday night I was out on my normal run around the neighborhood, and I found myself seriously freaked.  I swear that one of the inflatable yard decorations turned its head and looked at me as I passed the house he was in front of.  It’s not like I’ve been watching a bunch of horror flicks or anything…

Maybe I just need to put happier, bouncy music in my iPod.

Do you ever get the heebie-jeebies?  How do you get rid of them?

3 comments:

Redhead Running said...

Atlas Shrugged is Spike's favorite book! We also love us some C&H.

susette said...

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the picture at the top of your blog is. Could you please enlighten me a little?

I keep thinking it's a ballet slipper but that just doesn't seem right for this blog.

Murph said...

Susette,
Funny you should ask... no, it's not a ballet slipper...
I posted an explanation though.
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...