Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Two-Things-Tuesday


Strange…
We have a semi-professional theatre here in town that does some really incredible productions.  We just love to go to their performances, because it’s such a small, intimate theater, and their production quality is so high.  But anyway, when they close a show, it is our honor to go help them “strike” the show.  Which, in Theatre speak, means we help take apart sets, put props back in storage… that kind of thing.  There are several of us that go and do it, I’d say about 20 volunteers and another 10 theater staff.  So, last Saturday night, we showed up to strike their last show, and were able to work with the set designer packing up pillows, and sheets, blankets, bed skirts… Funny, I went to see this play, and I didn’t remember that many beds… strange.  Anyway, to my point… Much of this stuff is packed into big plastic totes and then stored in the basement.  While walking through the shelves, my eye was caught by one particular tote, and it made me laugh.  Only in the theatre would I ever see this box, and not have it be tied to some kind of police investigation.


I love the theatre!

 

Been Kinda Ticked-off Lately
It’s fall, and I’m involved in the Boy Scout’s which means that it’s time for “Friends of Scouting.”  Oh, yes, that one time of year when we get to go door to door in order to solicit funds for our local councils.  I hate… I’m using the word “Hate” here… Hate friends of scouting because it means that I get to go door to door with my son, and hear how Scout Executives make too much money and other kinds of bull crap from every pseudointellectual dough-head who really just doesn’t want to pull out his check book because it would cut into his beer money.

So, while we were out we come upon the home of a young couple from our church, and I’m thinking, “cool, a friendly face.”  Boy was I wrong.  Now, I know the guy, he and his wife attend the same congregation that my family does, he teaches in one of the classes I attend(ed).  And I know that he’s an Eagle Scout.  So I knock on the door, he answers all high and mighty and proceed to make me out to be some kind of groveling worm in front of my son.
Ya, that was nice…

Look, I don’t really care if people want to give to the BSA or don’t want to give… its cool either way, I’m no sales person… I couldn’t sell a free hamburger to a starving child… so I just flat out ask, “would you like to give?” if the answer’s “no,” I’m all, “have a nice day” and on to the next door.  I don’t need to know all of the reasons you hate the boy scouts, the uniform, the camps or anything else.  And I really, really don’t need to hear it from an Eagle Scout, and a member of my same church.  Ya know…
And so, to this particular pseudointellectual dough-head, “Have a nice day.”



1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love the box of heads! Hilarious! And....awww, Friends of Scouting. I am all too familiar with it, except I've got to say I've actually never gone door to door, I've only given when they've come to my door. But my boys have done it tons....I'll have to ask them what it's like for them. I'm sure it's not always pleasant. Well, good for you for serving! You'll be blessed for it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...