Friday, October 19, 2012

What is that at the top of your blog?


A question was asked about the picture I have at the top of my blog… well, maybe I should explain it and why I use it for both my blog and facebook sites.

The picture comes from the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906. An earthquake that devastated San Francisco and lead to the development of many of the seismic codes we have today.

During the earthquake, Stanford University was rocked so much that a ledge on the Zoology Building which held a marble statue of Louis Agassiz broke away sending the statue tumbling to the concrete courtyard below. The statue hit head first and buried itself up to the shoulders. The students, even though shocked by the devastation of the earth quake, could not help but laugh when they found the statue with his feet in the air.

I find the picture fascinating to look at, and a little funny since I know that Louis Agassiz was a naturalist and a paleontologist who was also a staunch Creationist and a major critic of Darwin and his theory of Natural Selection.  And since I believe in Darwin’s theory of Natural Selection, and evolution in general (even though I’m a Mormon and a Christian) I thought that it was kind of appropriate for Agassiz to have his head in the sand.  I know that's kind of dumb, but it works for me.

More information on the earthquake of 1906 can be found Here.

1 comment:

susette said...

Oh Thank you for the explanation. That makes it so much more clear now :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...