Friday, November 23, 2012

Starting off 2013

 
I've decided that next year I'm going to run (at least) 3 half marathons, and so, to get 2013 off to a great start I signed up for a "race" on the very first day of the year.  The New Years Revolution Run takes place at the Olympic Oval at 8am January 1st.
The idea kind of intrigued me.  At 8am, you start running and have 5 hours to run as many laps as you can.  47.7 laps is a half marathon, and 95.5 laps is a full marathon distance.  Here's the thing for me... I finished my first half marathon in 2:16.  Which means that I SHOULD be able to finish 95 laps in 5 hours.  But, I probably won't have the strength to do that in the time allotted.
My goal is to complete the 5 hours... with as many laps as I can pump out.  I'm thinking that I'll probably be in the 70's.
The only thing that I'm really not looking forward to is the endless circles.  When I do training runs at the oval, I wear a watch and carry a clicker, so that I don't have to worry about remembering what lap I'm on... for this one I'm going to go naked... so to speak... which means no watch and no clicker.  I'm going to rely on the timing chip to count my laps.  My Garmin won't work inside anyway.
My wife is still wondering how I'm going to run after staying up half the night for New Years festivities... my answer... I never sleep the night before a race anyway... so... no big deal.  I ran my last two Ragnar's on less that two hours of sleep anyway.

3 comments:

susette said...

Soooo Cool!!! I ran this one last year and am doing it again. Last year we got only 4 hours and I did about 67 laps. (There were some issues with counting the laps and I hope they have it figured out this year) I'm hoping to do a few more this time around but sadly I don't think I'll be able to reach the marathon status. I'm not a fast enough runner. If you see me say hello! I'm super excited about this race because last year I knew absolutely nobody and I was up there doing it all alone. This year I have recruited a number of running friends and so it will be fun to see familiar faces out there for 5 hours. Anyway, how cool that you have signed up. It is a perfect way to start the new year in my opinion!!

Anne said...

Over here we have a "Resolution Run" on December 30th :) which I'll be doing with many family members. However, ours is only a 5K. Yours sounds crazy cool...great way to start 2013!

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...