Saturday, December 22, 2012

TnT Ugly Sweater Run

Saturday’s used to be my day to sleep in… and then I joined Team in Training. This morning I was up at 7am so that I could drop my wife off at work before heading up to Sugarhouse Park for the TnT ugly sweater run. Fortunately, I was not the only person who couldn’t find an ugly sweater to run in.

 View of my Dash Board temp display
just before I opened the door and got out.

The temp was a frigid 23 degrees when I got out of my car and joined my team. Despite the cold, I ran really well this morning. In fact, I’ve been doing really, really well on all of the team runs so far. I’m not used to being in the lead pack when I run… so I’m just waiting for something to happen. IT band… something… knock on wood…

That is one ugly sweater
 
Also, I’m really thinking that I’m going to change my registration to the full marathon… but the idea scares the crap out of me.

One of the LLS employees that runs with us is Gemma. She’s in her early 20s and just qualified for Boston. I swear this girl weighs 85 pounds… soaking wet. So, we’re running along this morning and get to a stop light. The Don’t Walk is flashing, and we can see that we only have a few seconds to get across, so all of us stop, except for Gemma. She bounds across the street, yelling, “come on, you can make it!” We all laugh, and one of our coaches, Mary, says, “Ya we could make it if we weighed 85 pounds like Gemma!” It was funny.

TnT is really a good group of people with this full on passion for finding a cure for leukemia. It’s amazing. Several of our team members are patients themselves. My captain, is a lymphoma survivor. It’s inspiring to be around people who have seen success in fighting these cancers, when I have only seen tragedy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...