Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2012 in Review

2012 Miles: Dailymile has me at 506 miles, but I joined Dailymile last summer and toasted my Map my Run account before writing down my mileage for this year. So… I’m going to guess that I’m a bit over 700 miles for the year. I think that I can do a bit better than that in 2013. Don’t you?

Races: Two Ragnars are now on the books for 2012; Wasatch Back and Las Vegas… and oh does that Saints and Sinners medal look good on my wall. This year I also was able to run my very first half marathon (Porter’s) which I finished with a 2:16.

Best Movie: Les Miserables… I don’t see a lot of movies. And while the few that I did see were good, (Hunger Games came in a very close 2nd) I have to say that Les Mis was Epic, on an Epic Scale. The acting was surprisingly good, and the singing was great. I do have to say that I was not impressed with Amanda Seyfried as Cosette. Her voice is so falsetto that it kind of bugged me. Personal preference, I guess.
 
Best Book: My goal for 2012 was to read 100 books. I was well on my way until I decided to tackle the ponderous Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand… that set me back a bit. So I ended up with 82 books for the year. The best book I read this year? That’s a good question, because I read some great ones this year. But I think that the best one was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The book is narrated by Death and follows the story of a young girl in Nazi Germany during World War II. It’s sad, and funny, and just a great read.
 
Best Television Show: Hard question because I don’t have TV, so… when I do watch something (and that’s not very often) it’s either on DVD or Netflix. But if I were to be tied down and have a gun put to my head, I’d say the BBC miniseries Sherlock. That’s the best show I watched this year… Hands down.

Newest Family Activity:  As if we can fit one more thing into our lives. Flash Mob is our newest fun thing to do. We joined SLCMobsters last spring, and our first Flash Mob was at the Megaplex at The District for the opening of Hunger Games. Let’s just say we were hooked and are looking forward to the text message that will start the whole thing up again.
Life Change: BB going to college. What can I say; I’m too young to have a kid in college. She’s doing well and finding her place in the world. I could not be more proud of her.

Obsession: It‘s still Team in Training, and will continue to be until May, when I run the Ogden Half-Marathon… I‘m seriously thinking that there is no full marathon in my future. But for me, TnT is less about the running than it is about the cure for blood cancers and the patient support for which LLS works. I know, I talk about this a lot.

Music: Well, first of all, I’m old… and set in my musical ways. But I have found some new music that I really like. The main one, I need to explain. When I was younger, and living in LA, I had a room mate who was a total cowboy… me… I was more of a hippie type I believe that he called me an incense burnin‘ tree huggin‘ hookie, I didn‘t take offence and surprisingly we got along pretty well. Now, 20-some-odd years later, his kids put together a little country music band… and even though I don’t like country music much, they’re pretty good. Here’s their web site: Dyer Highway.

Goals for 2013:

1. To run 1000 miles or more.

2. A minimum of 3 half marathons… even if I have to miss out on my beloved Wasatch Back
(financial consideration over  a question of time)

3. To run a sub 2 hour Half.

4. I’m not going to go for a particular number of books this year, but I am going to concentrate more on the classics.

5. I’m also going to work more on writing. I used to be a really good writer, but I can tell that those skills have diminished from lack of use.


Have a very Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Redhead Running said...

In order to get 1,000 miles you will need to track your miles... LOL! Have you ever looked in to Runningahead.com? I do use DailyMile, but I also track my workouts on Runningahead because it's a more straight forward, numbersgeek, type site with less of the social aspect. Much easier to see "the numbers." It's a lofty goal but with three half marathons on deck I bet you'll see that and then some!

I haven't gone to see Les Mes yet but I hope to check it out this weekend. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Atlas is Spike's favorite book ever and on my list to tackle at some point, right now I'm caught up in the world of Game of Thrones and do not know how I'm going to survive when I finally finish book 5 and there's still two more books to go that haven't been written!

I love your family activities, seriously, and I hope to hear more about the flash-mobbing and the archery. So freaking cool!

Happy New Year!!!

susette said...

You should totally run Mount Nebo's half marathon. That race was the one and only time I was able to break the 2 hour barrier. It's a fast course!

Was nice to meet you and put a real person behind the blog yesterday at the oval.

Happy New Year and happy running!

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

Murph said...

Cameron... I don't have your email address.
What do you need?

Suz and Allan said...

It sounds like 2012 was a pretty great year for you. Hope 2013 is just as good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...