Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mission Moment

Hunter and Amelia
 
 
On our Saturday morning team runs we usually start with a "Mission Moment."  This is a time when we are reminded why we are doing what we are doing.
With the intensive training, the miles we need to put in week after week, the constant nutritional challenges, and watching ourselves for any inkling that we may be becoming injured; on top of the constant fundraising, it's easy to loose focus on the WHY.
As for myself, I'm a fairly accomplished runner.  I could train myself for this half marathon I've committed to, no problem.  I could probably train myself to accomplish my goal of sub-2 hours as well.  So, this is not why I'm a part of Team in Training.
Last Saturday's Mission Moment came from one of our "Flex Team" members who is running for her nephew, Hunter.
 
This is her story:
 
" In July of 2011, Hunter Hansen, my nephew, could not for weeks it seemed shake being tired and nauseous.  His parents thought it was a cold or flu bug but, eventually decided to take him to the doctor.  After several blood tests and exams, the Rock Springs hospital sent the results to Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.  That same day they diagnosed Hunter with AML.  Acute Myeloid Leukemia.   He was kept at the hospital and under went many chemo/radiation treatments.  As of Jan 6, 2012 he was in remission and sent home to resume school and normal daily life.  Then, right before their make-a-wish cruise in March of 2012, tests came back showing Hunter’s cancer was back.  This time he was going to have a bone marrow transplant, as well as chemo.  So in June of 2012 Hunter and his Mom Cheri were kept at the Ronald McDonald House in Salt Lake following his transplant. They were meant to stay for 100 consecutive days until cleared by the doctors to go home hopefully.  A few days before Hunter was to be released, Cheri, his mom died of a heart attack in her sleep.  Hunter woke to this and immediately called his Dad who was able to come and take Hunter home.  Ten days after the devastation of losing his mother who was by his side for the entire battle of leukemia, Hunter’s blood tests once again showed that the transplant had failed and their was nothing left for the doctors to do.  They sent Hunter home with his Dad (Phil, my brother) and Phil Jr., Hunters big brother, to enjoy the rest of his short life.  This is why I am running.  Hunter and I had a plan for me to run and raise money and he would get better. He is better now and I will do my part.  This little 9 year old never complained even when under severe pain and was always worried about others.  He is my Hero.  As you all know Hunter passed away after his courageous fight on Jan 1, 2013.  I am so glad I was able to spend time with him and his family, they have taught me some very important lessons."
 
This has got to stop!  We can cure so many things.  The Flu used to kill half of everyone who got it... now it's mostly a seasonal annoyance that kills very few... why can't cancer be the same?
Please help.  If you don't want to donate to my effort... fine, but pick a runner, any runner that is involved in Team in Training, and donate to their effort.
 
Thanks!

1 comment:

Suz and Allan said...

What heartbreaking story. I can't imagine the pain Hunter's family has gone through. Hopefully one day there will be a cure for cancer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...