Wednesday, January 02, 2013

New Years… Family Fun and a Race

New Years Eve, we were looking for something to do.  For the first time in a long time, we didn’t have any parties to go to and so we decided to take in a Hockey Game.  The Utah Grizzlies have this deal that if you bring in a receipt from Maverick Convenience Stores they’ll give you 6 tickets (for a Monday Night Game) for $30. 
 
We had a lot of fun, and the Grizz totally shut out the other team… I don’t even remember their name.  After that, we went home and played Munchkin until midnight.  I had a run the next morning, so we all hit bed pretty fast.

New Year’s Revolution 5 hour run.
7 am comes pretty early on New Year’s Day, but my wife and I were up and going.  She had to go into work for a couple of hours and I had to check in for the race sometime between 7 and 8 am.  The race was the New Year’s Revolution at the Olympic Oval.  Basically the format was pretty cool.  The Oval has a 442 meter track.  They started us off at 8am, and we could run as much or as little as we wanted in a 5 hour period.  48 laps was a half marathon… double that for a full.  The person with the most laps at 1pm was the winner.  My goal was to complete a half.

When I got there it was pretty empty, but it wasn’t long before I was found by Susette from You’ll Always Have My Heart.  I now know why Bloggers love to meet up with each other, it’s great when you can put a real person and a voice with the blog.  I was also introduced to another blogger (one of the few male bloggers out there… Josh from Fat2Phat).
 
At (just after 8) we were let loose on the track.  I was feeling pretty good, but knew that my training has not been really good through the holidays… and I might have even put on a few pounds.  So, in an hour I had knocked out the first 25 laps and was really pleased with myself… and then all went downhill… very fast.  It started with some cramping in my gut, and it was then that I knew that the garlic fries I had downed at the hockey game were about to make their presence known.  All in all, I spent a little over 30 minutes in the Restroom.  I stopped eating… because it was just going right through me anyway, but I did stay hydrated.  The lack of fuel did take its toll and around my 38th lap I was pretty well done.

Don't let the smile fool you... Life is suckin' at that moment.

My plan was to run all 5 hours, just to see how many laps I could do, but that plan changed pretty quickly when the problems started.  I did push onward and was able to complete my 48th lap at 3 hours 11 minutes.  After that, I grabbed my medal and stayed just long enough to say goodbye to Susette and Josh, and to try to take their picture… for some reason it just didn’t work… Me and technology… not a good combo.
So, it was fun.  And I did meet my initial goal, but in the end, it just wasn’t one of my better races.

2 comments:

Josher Hansen said...

Us male running bloggers got to stick together, right?! LOL!

It was great meeting you and thanks for TRYING to get a jumping picture of Susette and I. We tried. Nothing wrong with the photographer. LOL!

I'm sorry to hear about your garlic fry experience. I might have had a somewhat similar experience after eating Mexican food the night before.



Suz and Allan said...

Wow, that's a lot of laps. Congrats on running for as long as you did!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...