Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

I can’t really form my thoughts and feelings into a coherent line of words today.  Yesterday I was so happy.  I got to work, and immediately put the coverage of the Boston Marathon on one of the two computer screens I stare at all day… every day.

Boston is one of those marathons that I will never be able to run.  At my age, coming into running so late in life, I will never be fast enough to qualify for such a prestigious event.  But I wanted to watch anyway.  I wanted to watch the elite runners as they pound out 5 minute miles, and to see if I could (possibly) catch a small glimpse of my friend Gemma (who’s fast like a freak) among the 21,000 other runners.

I wanted to live vicariously through those who were running, and even had thoughts of one day going to Boston to experience the marathon if only as a spectator.  I’m sure that now… I will, possibly next year.
The reason being is that acts like this definitely break bodies.  They do devastating things to the people who were unlucky enough to be close to the bomb when it went off.  But they can also break the spirit.  And runners have a lot of spirit.

I know that there will be those who will probably never run again, not because their bodies are broken, but because their spirits were broken yesterday.
Please don’t be broken. 

Ultra-Marathoner Dean Karnazes once said:
“Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”

Never give up my friends, lace up your shoes and never give up.
My heart and my prayers are with Boston… I wish that I could do more than that.

3 comments:

Redhead Running said...

Two years in a row I spectated in the same spot, mere steps from where the second blast went off. My friends that I always spectate with set up shop there again this year, but thankfully left mere minutes before it went off. The thoughts of "what if" are chilling me right down to the bone. Spike was qualified, we just opted to skip the trip this year having just done the wedding. I'm so thankful we did and yet my heart is so heavy over what happened and for all the people there. It all just hits too close to home for me. My heart is so heavy that I feel like I just don't have the right words to say about it.

I'm glad you're going to go spectate, I will again too, we have to keep running, spectating, not letting this cut us down.

Suz and Allan said...

Very well said

susette said...

Well spoken Murph! I have no way to formulate my thoughts and words so I won't be posting about it but I appreciate those who can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...