Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Disappointment... and just a little bit of wonder.

Since running is pretty much a non-starter for me this month (I don't even want to know my running totals for the month, because I'm sure that they are dwarfed by the fluid ounces of Mountain Dew I've been downing)  I thought that I'd talk about a couple of the other things going on in my life right now.

My parent's candy store closed last week, and so we spent Sunday afternoon cleaning out the building.  Everyone took it pretty well, we were just disappointed that we just couldn't get it to go.  In the end, when just about everyone was gone and I was doing some final sweeping up, I found my youngest, "A," standing all alone in the dark empty front store.
"What's up, Kiddo?" I asked.
"I was going to work here when I got bigger." she said, tears in her eyes.
"I know." I said.
We stood together in the empty store for a while, said goodbye to the space, then walked out into the sweet summer rain, and locked the door for the final time.  Now it will become something really depressing, like a baby GAP.

On my way to work today I walked past a little miracle.  There's a pumpkin plant growing on the side of 9000 South, just east of State Street.  I had seen it growing a couple of days ago on my walk into work, and thought that it might be a weed, but this morning it had a blossom, and it's definitely a pumpkin.


I remember that there were a couple of smashed pumpkins on the road last fall, but I never figured that any of those scattered seeds could actually germinate.  I'm interested to see if it is left alone long enough to actually produce a pumpkin.

It's funny.  This world can be so screwed up sometimes, but at the end of it all... life finds a way, and that small, simple spark of life can bring such wonder.

2 comments:

susette said...

That is sad about the candy store. At one point in our lives my husband owned and operated a little IFA store and after 3 years we just couldn't keep it open. Those were some very hard times and looking back we learned a lot but I was honestly so glad to be rid of it.

I planted bright pink petunias in the front walk way of my yard and just a few days ago a big red salvia popped up all on its own. That's what I had planted in there last year and one lonely little seed must have survived and bloomed. It was quite an interesting sight to see one tall flower looking so out of place amongst the petunias.

Don't worry about your running, it will happen when it happens, and if it never does oh well. I've actually been easing off my weekly running lately and just enjoying my weekend races. My daughter is training for a half marathon and so occasionally I will go on some training runs with her, other than that I am trying to cut back. Ha, we'll see how long that lasts.

Suz and Allan said...

I'm so sorry about your parent's candy store. I know it must have been sad to see it close.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...