Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Yes, I'm still alive... but you wouldn't know it from my blog.

I figured that I would at least get one posting in the blog before the end of the month.

Running has been a huge and complete fail this month. Not because of injury but because of Scout camp, Girl’s camp, Play practice (I’m working on The Music Man for the next couple of weeks), and the general craziness that accompanies getting a kid ready to go on a mission.


My view of the sunrise over Bear Lake from the cabin at Scout Camp
 

Where my life will be for the next 2 weeks
 
The garden, on the other had is doing great! Tonight, we ate the first of our “Sun Sugar” cherry tomatoes. They were so sweet and so yummy. One of the kids asked, “why aren’t the tomatoes at the store this good?”

Do I really need to answer that?

Yes, I know there are some weeds...  I'll pull them... sometime.
 
I look at the garden almost every day, and I am always amazed with the changes that happen between 5:45am when I run to catch my bus, and 6pm when I get home. Vines are larger, blooms are open, colors have changed. It’s truly wondrous.

Baby Cantaloupe
 
We have about 4 cantaloupes growing on the vine in the front yard garden and are growing so fast, you can almost see the change happening.

Baby Watermelon

In the back garden, we have 3 watermelons growing (that I can find in this extensive vine). And the cool part is, I don’t water them. Well, I do, but not the normal way. The watermelons are part of an experiment. A few months ago I read about watering by Olla. An Olla is a clay pot that you bury in the ground near your plants, then, instead of watering the plants directly, you fill the pot (olla). The water then leaks out of the side of the pot (through the clay) as the plants need the water. It’s supposed to save on evaporation loss, and thus save water, which is really important here in the west. The olla system is working so well that I think that I’m going to use it exclusively next year. Maybe even rig up a rain water capture system to fill the ollas.

You can't really see it very well, but this is one of the ollas.
The stone on top keeps the water from evaporating.

Anyway… there you go.

Sorry for the boring blog. Life should even out here pretty soon, and I can get back to running, blogging, and relaxing.

Here are some other pics of the garden.

This is the bird feeder we put in a crab-apple tree next to the garden.
Attracting the birds here has really cut down on the grass hoppers.

Beets

Rambling Red Stripe Tomatoes

Carrots

Baby Cucumbers... at least I think that's what it is,
I've never grown cucumbers before.
 

3 comments:

Redhead Running said...

Boring or not, I'm glad to see you are having a wonderful, bountiful summer.

Melissa said...

Good looking garden! I'll have to ask the lady in my ward about girl missionary games...I guess the ugly tie game won't work for your daughter...but there has to be something...

Suz and Allan said...

Your garden looks like it's doing really well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...