Thursday, August 15, 2013

Three Things on a Thursday

The Pumpkin Plant is Dead

The little pumpkin plant that was growing on the side of the road is dead.  From the looks of it and the other dead weeds around it, it looks to me like a road maintenance crew hit it with Round Up.  I couldn't bring myself to take a picture of it...

Question

So, I have a question…

I’m a Mormon, and I’m a runner.  For quite a while now I’ve been using gels as a nutritional boost during my longer runs.  I’ve avoided flavors like “Cappuccino” and “Mocha” knowing that they contain coffee, even if it’s just a small amount, because of my belief in the Word of Wisdom.

If you don’t know, the Word of Wisdom is a health code given to us (Mormons) as a guide of what we should and should not be put into our bodies, which is why Mormons (generally) don’t drink Coffee, Tea, or Alcohol, and we (generally) don’t smoke.  Now contrary to popular belief, we are not prohibited from drinking Coke or any other caffeinated, sugary drinks… but we probably should be.  But, anyway, I’ve been using the Word of Wisdom as my primary nutritional guide as a runner.  Up my grain intake, lower the amount of meat… that kind of thing.


So, the other day I was cleaning up some of my Chocolate GU packets that had spilled out of their box, and (for some reason) began reading the ingredients: Organic Tea (green) extract (contains caffeine).   From that, I went on to find out that several of the gels I’ve used also have the same green tea extract in them.  Now, the caffeine isn’t my question, but the tea extract is (I’m not really sure what “extract” means.  Is it tea?  Is it some chemical from tea?  Is it just caffeine sucked out of a tea leaf?).
So here’s my question… as a Mormon, am I okay to keep using these Gels even though they contain some kind of tea... extract?  Or do I need to find something else?  I’m not a deep doctrinal kind of religious person and I rely on the advice of others quite a lot.

So what are your thoughts?  Even if you aren’t Mormon, what would you do in my shoes?

I love this Band!

The other day, I was looking through the NPR web site and came across a video of one of their "Tiny Desk Concerts" of a band called "Alpine" from Australia.  I totally fell in love with their sound!
Here's a sample:


2 comments:

Soozcat said...

I've stopped using various supplements that include "green tea extract" in their ingredients, just to be on the safe side, but I wouldn't judge you for making a different decision.

How many Mormons don't use vanilla extract to make chocolate chip cookies, because extracts are mostly alcohol? I'd say very few. It's a question of dosage.

As I see it, the spirit of the law in the Word of Wisdom is "nourish yourself with care and with the understanding that your body is a temple and a gift from God." I'm not always that good at keeping to the spirit of that law -- as I'm frequently reminded when I step on the scale -- but trying to do better.

If you're really concerned, you might make it a matter of prayer. Yes, the Lord cares enough about you to answer your prayers regarding GU supplements. :)

susette said...

If you are concerned about it I know there is more natural gu's. Honey Stingers may be a better option. I agree with Soozcat's comments too.

Personally, I need some caffeine so I can keep my energy level up. Races are the one time I use caffeine and not any other. I feel like it's serving a purpose. I'm not a soda drinker.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...