Tuesday, August 12, 2014

To Go, or Not to Go... that... is a good question.

I’ve been contemplating going back to school.  Years ago, twelve, to be exact, I graduated from University with a BA in English.  I’m happy that from time to time I get to use it at work, to proof read response letters, write copy for our company website, or to answer the odd grammar question.

“Hey Murph!  Is it, your an idiot, or you’re an idiot?”

But the day that one of our intern engineers walked into my office, closely examined the degree that hangs above my desk and asked, “Is that for real?” I decided that it was time that I used my degree for something other than wall décor.

So, from time to time, I have looked into going back to school for a Masters of Arts in Literature, but after talking to my alma mater, and realizing that I could not attend classes and still work normal office hours, without throwing my family into financial ruin, I kind of gave up.
Over the years, I would look at possible online programs, but have never found what I was looking for.  Most online programs are for MBA’s from schools with questionable accreditation, who’s real goal has more to do with sucking all the federal loan money they can out of you before tossing you out on the street with a worthless degree and a truckload of debt.

A couple of weeks ago, I actually found what I was looking for.  Mercy College and Southern New Hampshire University, both accredited universities who have been around since early in the 20th century, and who actually have campuses, both have online master’s degree programs in British and American Lit.
But now, I’m just not sure.  I mean, either school is going to cost my family about $20,000.  I have one daughter who will be going back to college in a year when she gets home from being a missionary; which, will coincide with my second daughter starting to college as well.

What to do?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...